Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
- 20-25 coals
- 1-1/3 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup salted butter
- 1 tbs avocado oil (or another high smoke point alternative such as grapeseed oil)
- 3/4 cup honey or sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-2/3 cup whole milk
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- Gather supplies. For oven preheat oven to 400°F or light the charcoal briquettes and let them heat up. You want the coals to be completely white for prime cooking temperature. Preheat skillet.
- Mix the goods. Combine all wet ingredients. Next stir in dry ingredients to wet mixture until combined.
- Prep the Pan. Once the skillet is hot, remove the cast iron pan from coals/oven with insulated hot handle sleeve. Add a tablespoon of avocado oil to coat bottom and sides of skillet.
- Add the goods. Poor in the goods. Cover with lid.
- Bake. The oven or coals should be hot and ready. For cooking with coals place the skillet with lid on the trivet. The trivet should be placed over evenly spaced ring of coals (not directly in a campfire) and cover the top of the lid with coals. Cook for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or fork is inserted and comes out clean.
- What we’ve all been waiting for. Eat!
Pro Tip: Add an extra dollop of butter and some brown sugar before serving. This recipe is a great addition to chili and stews.