We recently made some Camp Jambalaya and it turned out so well that we wanted to share the recipe with you! It’s perfectly spicy and hearty for a crisp late-winter or spring day, and much of it can be pre-cooked and prepped to make an easy throw together meal while car camping or picnicking.
Seasoning Mix (mix ahead)
2 whole bay leaves
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
Meat (prepare ahead and store together in a container)
½ lb chopped ham or tasso (about 2 cups)
1 lb boneless chicken thighs
½ lb andouille sausage
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onions, divided
1 cup chopped celery, divided
1 cup chopped green bell pepper, divided
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 cups uncooked minute rice
Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and store for use at camp
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Lay chicken thighs on baking sheet and season with olive oil and salt and pepper
Cook for 15 minutes or until evenly cooked through
Once cooled, chop into bite size pieces, along with the sausage and ham. Store meat mixture in a container and refrigerate until cooking time
1. Melt the butter in a 2- or 3-quart saucepan over medium high heat. Add the meat and cook until its crisp and brown,about 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Scrape the bottom of the pan well as you go
2. Stir in the seasoning mix and 1/2 cup each of the onions, celery, and bell peppers. Add the garlic.
3. Cook until the vegetables start to get tender and golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir often and scrape the bottom of the pan as needed.
4. Add the tomato sauce and cook for about 1 minute, stir often.
5. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup each of the onions, celery, and bell peppers. Add in the tomatoes. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in stock and rice, mix well.
7. Cook covered until rice is soft, about 5-10 minutes
8. Stir well, remove bay leaves, let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
9. Enjoy with bread on the side!